The Land Conservation Division (LCD) is one of five divisions of the Dane County Land & Water Resources Department (LWRD). The LCD helps landowners plan, design, and implement conservation practices with the goal of protecting water quality and conserving soil in Dane County. Our goal is to provide conservation planning assistance and technical service in the area of soil and water conservation to landowners, land users, and decision-makers of Dane County, Wisconsin.
The Land Conservation Division's (LCD’s) most significant functions are providing technical service and conservation planning assistance to landowners and units of government to help them meet their conservation objectives. Some of the technical assistance that the LCD provide include: conservation planning, site evaluation for best management practices, survey and design work for agricultural practices.
There are a number of conservation programs available. The LCD may be able to assist you in determining if your land is suitable/ eligible and help you through the application and program implementation process.
In general, staff first assess any sources of erosion or pollution with the landowner and draft suggested solutions. If the landowner decides to install conservation practices, the LCD staff supervises the design and construction of the project and certifies it upon completion.
Staff provides support to federal, state and local programs in order to protect soil resources, improve water quality for both agricultural and non-agricultural land. Examples of agricultural conservation practices that we can help with:
Rotational Grazing Plans
Low Disturbance Manure Injection
Contact the Dane County Land Conservation Staff for any questions.
- 11/18/2018 - UW-Madison Lakeshore Nature Preserve Volunteer Opportunity
- 11/18/2018 - Friends of Stewart Lake County Park - Monthly Volunteer Workday
- 11/24/2018 - UW Madison Arboretum Core Area/Curtis Prairie Work Party
- 11/26/2018 - Public Meeting: Dane County Budget Flood Initiatives
- 11/27/2018 - Dane County Budget Flood Initiatives
- 11/27/2018 - Prairie Seed Weighing & Bagging - Volunteer Project
- 11/27/2018 - Restoration Workdays-Walking Iron County Park - 2nd & 4th Tuesday each month
- 12/1/2018 - Arboretum Wingra Oak Savanna Work Party
- 12/7/2018 - Tree & Brush Removal Volunteer Workday - Winter 2018-19 Schedule -Various locations throughout County Park system
- 12/8/2018 - Anderson Park Friends Monthly Volunteer Workday
- 12/15/2018 - UW Madison Arboretum Grady Tract Work Party
- 8/2/2019 - Sugar Maple Music Festival
- 8/10/2019 - 2nd Annual No Fear All Fun 5k Run/walk