The Land Conservation Division (LCD) is one of five divisions of the Dane County Land & Water Resources Department (LWRD). The LCD helps landowners plan, design, and implement conservation practices with the goal of protecting water quality and conserving soil in Dane County. Our goal is to provide conservation planning assistance and technical service in the area of soil and water conservation to landowners, land users, and decision-makers of Dane County, Wisconsin.
The Land Conservation Division's (LCD’s) most significant functions are providing technical service and conservation planning assistance to landowners and units of government to help them meet their conservation objectives. Some of the technical assistance that the LCD provide include: conservation planning, site evaluation for best management practices, survey and design work for agricultural practices.
There are a number of conservation programs available. The LCD may be able to assist you in determining if your land is suitable/ eligible and help you through the application and program implementation process.
In general, staff first assess any sources of erosion or pollution with the landowner and draft suggested solutions. If the landowner decides to install conservation practices, the LCD staff supervises the design and construction of the project and certifies it upon completion.
Staff provides support to federal, state and local programs in order to protect soil resources, improve water quality for both agricultural and non-agricultural land. Examples of agricultural conservation practices that we can help with:
Rotational Grazing Plans
Low Disturbance Manure Injection
Contact the Dane County Land Conservation Staff for any questions.
- 5/26/2018 - UW Madison Arboretum Core Area/Curtis Prairie Work Party
- 6/2/2018 - Dane County Parks and Trails Unite Festival
- 6/2/2018 - 15th Annual Ride to Farm - June 2nd 2018
- 6/2/2018 - UW Madison Arboretum Grady Tract Work Party
- 6/2/2018 - Parks & Trails Unite Festival
- 6/2/2018 - WAGS Dog WALK
- 6/23/2018 - BioBlitz at Lake Farm County Park
- 6/23/2018 - Prairie Chase Run/Walk at Pheasant Branch Conservancy
- 12/1/2018 - Arboretum Wingra Oak Savanna Work Party