Nutrient Management

The Natural Resources Conservation Service Conservation Practice Standard 590 defines Nutrient Management as managing the amount, source, placement, form, and timing of the application of nutrients and soil amendments.  A nutrient management plan is a formal document that balances crop nutrient needs with nutrients that are applied in the form of commercial fertilizer, animal manure, or biosolids.

Manure Management and Storage Ordinance

Frequently Asked Questions 

Dane County's Manure Storage and Utilization Ordinance (Chapter 14 Subchapter 1) was updated in 2005.  The purpose of the amended ordinance is to regulate the design, construction, maintenance and proper abandonment of animal waste storage facilities and manure stacks; including the transfer of wastes into storage facilities; provide for adequate disposal of animal waste in order to prevent water pollution, and comply with provisions in NR 151 Agricultural Performance Standards as outlined in the Dane County Land and Water Resource Management Plan and ATCP 50.56. 

Where does the Ordinance Apply?

The ordinance applies to all Dane County including incorporated areas.

What should be included in the permit application?

Before any construction of a new or altered facility can take place, an application must be submitted to the Land Conservation Division of the Dane County Land and Water Resources Department.

Each application for a permit will have to include a complete set of detailed construction plans consistent with Natural Resource Conservation Service standards, including a Nutrient Management Plan.  The construction plans must be developed and implemented in accordance with the ordinance requirements, and shall be certified by a licensed Professional Engineer.  A certified crop consultant must develop the Nutrient Management Plan.  County Land Conservation staff can provide assistance in preparing plans for proper manure stacking locations and for facility closure plans.

Are there additional requirements in the ordinance that must be followed regardless of the permit requirements?

Yes, the following additional requirements are included in the ordinance, in order to bring Dane County into compliance with the State Runoff Rules (NR151).  These requirements affect all landowners who operate a livestock operation or engage in stacking:

  1. A livestock operation shall have no over flow of manure storage facilities.
  2. A livestock operation shall have no unconfined manure piles in a water quality management area.
  3. A livestock operation shall have no direct runoff from feedlot or stored manure into the waters of the state.
  4. A livestock operation may not allow unlimited access by livestock to waters of the state in a location of adequate sod or self-sustaining vegetative cover.
  5. Manure storage facilities in existence as of May 12, 2005, that pose an imminent threat to public health or fish and aquatic life or are causing a violation of groundwater standards shall be upgraded, replaced or abandoned in accordance with this ordinance.

Does this ordinance require a permit if an existing facility is in place?

Existing animal waste storage facilities WILL NOT be subject to regulation under this ordinance unless the facility is not maintained, leaking, reconstructed, enlarged or altered in some way.  Emergency repairs to a manure storage facility, such as repairing a broken pipe or equipment, repairing leaking dikes, or the removal of stoppages WILL NOT require a permit.  The ordinance WILL NOT require a landowner to build waste storage facilities on their farm.

What is the fee for applying for a manure storage permit?

For new and substantially altered facilities, a permit fee of $750 is required.  Checks shall be made out to Dane County Treasurer.  There is no permit fee for facility closure or nutrient management plans.  The fee may be waived at the discretion of the Director if it is determined that the permit applicant has completed an educational training program related to manure management within one year prior to the date of the application.  Applications should be submitted to the Land Conservation Division.

Additional Information